DON is a family of Corporations that provides a comprehensive list of services to meet the needs of a cross disability community in Western Pennsylvania and Idaho.
Founded as a Center for Independent Living in 2003 DON has added two corporations and three offices locations in Pennsylvania as well as Idaho.
During the course of its existence, the Corporation shall, at all times, conduct its business in such a manner as to promote, to the fullest extent possible, the following values:
All persons with disabilities:
- are created equal to all persons without disabilities;
- have common experiences in our society which can be the basis of mutual support and enhancement of personal growth;
- need to work together as advocates for non-violent, progressive change to the institutions and systems of our society in order to increase their ability to serve as citizens;
- deserve the opportunities and benefits of full integration within their community and their country;
- are entitled to be referred to in terms of respectful language;
- are entitled to community respect as individuals without prejudice or bias relative to disability of any type or severity;
- understand best what they personally want and need to enable them to participate as equals within our society and should work together to solve those problems which prevent that participation;
- have the right to choose freely their lifestyle, profession, occupation, family composition, and level of participation in society;
- have the right to determine their personal level of safety related to their lifestyle, which may or may not be consistent with the recommendations of government or medical professionals;
- and are entitled to equipment and services that will reduce societal and environmental barriers which cause them to be dependent and which serve to prevent their full integration into the community.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (the “ADA”), 42 U.S.C. 12101,
et seq., as amended, and all other civil rights legislation should be fully implemented in the American Society.